About Us

The Coudersport Public Library has been serving residents of Coudersport and the surrounding area since 1850. We provide books, CDs, DVDs and online resources to meet the informational and recreational reading needs of our community.


Teri McDowell

Library Assistants:
Nancy Trimbur
Amy Moshier

History of the Coudersport Public Library

In September 1849, a small group of women formed a sewing circle to earn the funds necessary to establish a public library in Coudersport.  Meeting every Tuesday afternoon, the women made articles designed for sale and by the following March were able to make an initial purchase of fifty library books, a bookcase, and record books with the proceeds from their sales.

On May 5, 1850, an organizational meeting was held and a constitution and by-laws were adopted and officers were elected.

In the early years of the life of the library it was customary to house the collection in the home of the person who was serving as the librarian, thus the Coudersport Library Association did not have a permanent home for many years.

In 1888, the Coudersport Library was moved into one room of the old Journal office on the corned of West and Third streets, and in 1891, the library moved again to the A.G. Olmsted building at 308 North Main Street.  In 1905, the Coudersport Board of School Directors agreed to levy a tax of three-fourths of a mill on the assessed property valuation in the borough.  In 1947 the tax levy in favor of the library was increased to one mill.  Due to an increased need for space and modern updates, in November 1973, the Coudersport Public Library moved into the former community building on Park Avenue.

Built in 1950 for $15,000, the community building had formerly served as a place for community roller-skating and parties at Mitchell Park until it fell into disrepair and was turned over to the Coudersport Borough Council.  Rehabilitated through the efforts of library board trustees, staff members, and volunteers, the building was refurbished with a new heating system, new lighting, ceiling tiles, wood paneling,  and wall-to-wall tweed carpet.

From our initial beginnings at a sewing circle in the homes of a group of determined Coudersport ladies to our longtime home on North Main Street which we outgrew to a former roller skating rink at Mitchell Park which we’ve made into a welcoming community space, the Coudersport Public Library has been serving the residents of the Coudersport area for over 160 years and will continue to meet your library needs long into the future.


The home of the Coudersport Library from 1892-1973 at 308 North Main Street. It is now the home of the Potter County Historical Society

Mission Statement

The mission of the Coudersport Public Library is to improve the community’s quality of life by providing equal access to books and other materials of popular interest and permanent value for the informational and recreational needs of all ages.  Through programs and services, we encourage reading, research, and information literacy for patrons of all ages.

The Coudersport Public Library is a member of the Potter-Tioga Library System, the largest library system in Pennsylvania, which serves the residents of Potter and Tioga Counties in an area of 2,215 square miles.

Rules Governing the Use of the Library


Cardholder Requirements and Policies

  • Adult Cardholder Requirements
    In order to get a library card as an adult borrower, you must
    o Be 18 years of age
    o Present ID, such as a drivers’ license, school or government issued ID or passport, or a piece of mail postmarked in the last two weeks which you’ve received at your home address
    o Be present to register

Juvenile Cardholder Requirements

  • To register for a library card, juveniles ages 13-18 must complete a registration form and present identification with current address or have the signature of a parent or legal guardian who presents identification with current address.
  • To register for a library card, juveniles under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who presents identification with current address and takes responsibility for all activity on that library card.
  • Be present to register

Carholder Policies

  • The library is not responsible for library cards used by unauthorized persons.  It is the responsibility of the cardholder to take care of his/her library card.
  • If your library card is lost, please notify the library.  There is a $1.00 replacement charge for all lost library cards.
  • Books can be renewed a maximum of two times for the same amount of time as the original loan period, unless they have been requested by another patron.  If an item has been requested by another patron, it cannot be renewed.
  • Renewals can be made over the phone or online if an overdue notice has not been sent.
  • A book drop is located outside the front door of the library for items to be returned when the library is closed.  Do not put videos or DVDs in the book drop.  You may be charged replacement costs if a video or DVD is damaged after it is put in the bookdrop.

Inclement Weather Policy

  • For the safety of our staff and patrons, the Coudersport Public Library follows the school closing schedule for the Coudersport Public Schools.  If the Coudersport Public Schools close for the day, the library will be closed for the day.  If the Coudersport Public Schools have a two-hour delay, the library will have a two-hour delay.  We will try to post updates about closings and delays on our website and/or social media in a timely manner.

Prices for copying and printing

  • Copy Machine

Patrons can make their own black and white copies for $.25 per page at the library.

  • Computer Print-outs

Any pages you print from the public computers cost $.25 per page for black and white prints and $.50 per page for color prints. The library has two black and white laser printers and one color laser printer available for public use.

  • Microfilm Prints

Print-outs from the library’s collection of microfilmed materials are available for $.25 per page.

Please contact the library for more information about our policies.

Circulating Collections

Books – bestsellers, fiction, non-fiction, children’s and young adults
Magazines – over 10subscriptions to various magazines and newspapers. PLEASE NOTE: MAGAZINES WILL NOT BE CIRCULATED DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.

Books on Tape and CD – abridged and unabridged in both adults and children’s collections.

DVDs – DVDs of contemporary and classic movies.

Basic collection of books to provide quick answers to informational needs, including almanacs, directories, and general and specialized encyclopedias.

Interlibrary Loan
Materials that are not available locally may be requested by inter-library loan through a network of libraries – public, school, academic and special-throughout the state of Pennsylvania. PLEASE NOTE: INTERLIBRARY LOAN IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC.

Other Services

  • Black and white copier available for public use at .25 to .50 per copy.
  • We have two black and white laser printers and one color laser printer for public computer printing. We charge .25 (b&w) to .50 (color) per page

Internet Connections and Public Computers
Public access to the internet through high-speed connections on four public access computers. Free wireless access is available as well. PLEASE NOTE: WIFI IS ACCESSIBLE 24/7 FROM OUR PARKING LOT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Microfilm with microfilm reader printer
Census records for the area available through the 1930 census.

Back files of the Potter Enterprise from 1880 to 2008.

Internet Connections and Public Computers
Public access to the internet through high-speed connections on public access computers. Free wireless access is available as well.